Summer 2021 Admissions
See below for information about the application process and the full list of eligible counties.
When your admissions decision is ready, you will receive an email notification.
Application Now Closed
- Contra Costa
- San Benito
- San Francisco
- San Joaquin
- San Luis Obispo
- San Mateo
- Santa Clara
- Santa Cruz
Students who don’t meet these basic eligibility requirements aren’t eligible to apply for this program. Exceptions cannot be made.
The program recognizes, however, that personal circumstances may prevent some students from demonstrating their full academic potential. Therefore, SMYSP doesn't only look for A-average student and will consider academically motivated students with a 2.5 or greater GPA. If you fall into such a category, we encourage you to apply. Please note that you must have taken adequate science and math courses to understand the lectures and labs. This program is tuition-free to all participants.
1. Start an Application
Create a Stanford Medical Youth Science Program (SMYSP) application account. The application account should be made with the student applicant's legal name, but a parent email address may be used to receive application communications.
The application is currently closed.
2. Review Application Checklist
In addition to the online application form, a complete application includes:
- Academic Records
- We require unofficial transcripts for each school or academic program you took graded courses at from Fall 2018 through Fall 2020. If you have multiple grade reports from one school, rather than one transcript from that school, please combine that into a single file for upload. Homeschooled applicants should submit a document similar to a transcript with their coursework from the years listed above. Homeschooled students should also submit transcripts from any graded courses they took with a school or program during this period.
- Teacher Recommendations
- We require two (2) recommendations to be included with your application. One recommendation should come from a science, math, engineering, or computer science teacher. The second recommendation should come from a counselor, principal, or mentor (which can include another teacher). To ensure timely submission, please request your recommendations at least two weeks before the application deadline.
- Work Sample (Optional)
- You may choose to submit a recent sample of your work in the sciences or mathematics. The ideal sample demonstrates your problem solving or reasoning skills in a substantial way. Possible work samples include: math quizzes or tests showing the level of difficulty of your most recent work (multiple choice exams are only acceptable if your shown work was also graded), math or science problem sets with written solutions, or science lab reports.
- Video Essay (Optional)
- This video essay is an opportunity to share more about yourself. You can consider it a conversation between you and our Admissions Committee, or you may also choose to tell us something you haven't mentioned elsewhere in the application. Additional details about this component are available in the application.
3. Check Your Application Status
After completing your application, return to the Application Status and Materials Checklist page to make sure all of your application materials have been submitted. When your admissions decision is ready, you will receive an email notification that prompts you to log in to this page for the decision.
A Note About Email
Email is our primary mode of communication and each applicant will receive a confirmation email from us after their application is received and processed. If SMYSP has any questions about your application, or if there is something missing, an email will be sent asking that the applicant contact us to resolve the situation. Please be sure to check your email regularly and respond to us when needed.